[at-l] Cutting the haze

A while back there was a photography thread going and in the course of that
thread I was asked about a way to cut the haze so characteristic of summit
photos.  I don't remember who asked so y'all get to read the latest
response.  I just found a unique polarizing filter on Ebay that should
help. Check out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1235214411.  They
have it in different sizes.  What's interesting is that they incorporate
81A glass (a warming filter) to counter the inherent blue cast that results
from polarizing the light.  You could do the same by putting both filters
on but why add an extra layer of glass to keep clean, Eh?

Note that the word was *help*.  Haze is hard to eliminate.  Remember that
the eye cuts through atmospheric haze better than most film (that's why you
often get photos back and say "I don't remember it being that hazy"). Also
polarizing filters work best before 10 AM and after 3 PM when the light is
more directional than when it's directly overhead.

Saunterer