[at-l] Are you a loner?

Hi Gang,

	Introverts unite! (boy is that a contradictory statement hehe) It seems
I have always needed more "time alone" than most other folks. I have
walked a few thousand trail miles and would not be surprised if 50% of
that time I was alone. In my early days of backpacking I had many local
friends that also enjoyed backpacking. Over the years most of them gave
it it for various reasons. But the reward has always been more than
worth the effort for me. During this time I began to hike more and more
and so I often went alone. It has never bothered me hiking alone. In
fact sometimes, experiences, like seeing a bear up close or setting out
a powerful thunderstorm, when you know that you should have camped low,
are more intense when alone. When alone all your senses can be devoted
to nature. When someone else is present you must process there data
input, footsteps, voice, breathing, rustle of pack etc.
	Now do not get me wrong I do enjoy people, one or two at a time please!
At large gatherings like the Ruck I get sensory overload. This overload
is very tiring and stressful. That is why you most often find me
chatting in one of the small groups located in the hallways or in a
mostly empty room. I enjoy the company of quite soft spoken people who
sometimes make me wonder "Am I the loudmouth that I try to avoid" LOL.
	So much for the value of being alone. Now to contradict myself again.
Some of my best moments on the trail have been the times I could share
with someone close. After all what good is anything if you cannot share
it with someone else. The data you get from a fellow traveler can really
enhance your hike. Woodelf's knowledge of surveying and reading topo
maps lets him more easily name the peaks that can be seen from an
overlook. Being able to look back and see Mnt Guyot in the Smokies from
Mount Rogers is awesome. How many people get to see and recognize a land
mark 300 miles back? It is awesome to think you have walked this
distance. Hiking with someone who knows the plants, geology and wildlife
is certainly a bonus too. Yaa hiking with a companion is good. Life is
extremely good when you are with someone special.

chase

"These are the Wild Places"
"These are the Only ones"
"Gold is not the same to you and me"