[at-l] Sleeping bags

My 2 cents on bags. I love my Western Mountaineering bag, purchased
in 1986, reconstructed in Dec. 2000. It lasted through 1 2/3 AT
hikes, bicycling across the US, and about 150 weekend cabin trips and
backpacks (at least 800 nights).

The fabric is lightweight, ripstop nylon, uncoated and very breathable.

In my opinion any coated fabric means the bag will retain moisture,
and odor, more easily. So it'll probably require cleaning more often.
Over the years I probably cleaned my bag 8-10 times, in retrospect I
wish I cleaned my bag less often. Each machine wash resulted in less
loft, until my 20 degree bag was closer to 35 degrees. I'm happy to
say it's now back to it's original 6" of loft.
--
Arthur D. Gaudet         	"Is walking down called hiking, too?"
(RockDancer)  	                 -heard at the top of Mt Washington, NH