[at-l] More on winter..Pads

There are problems with depending on fat stores for calories. You require
extra water and some extra energy to metabolize fat to sugar to calories.
Fat metabolism also creates ketones which make you feel particularly bad -
headache, grouchy, hungry, fatigued, etc. You are also more likely to start
metabolizing protein(muscle) to make up for the calories needed. This is
nature's way of assuring that you don't go wasting fat on a brief absence
from food, as nature prefers you store fat for a famine (particularly if
you are a binge exerciser or dieter).

You do want a quick charge for energy and heat. That is why honey, Little
Debbies, Jolly Ranchers and such are good additions to any mess kit/first
aid kit. Put it in there right next to the Gatorade powder.

I give up. What the heck are carbolic foods? I hope nothing like carbolic
acid (dating myself by knowing the term).

And the secret to being really fat is to regularly exercise on a consistent
daily basis with good nutrition. I suspect our binge hiking (days and weeks
of exertion between months of inactivity) is as damaging as dieting for
weight control/adipose management.

OrangeBug