[at-l] More on winter..Pads

Winter is not the time to be ultralight. Red said she was going to hike in
any case, and at least put herself in a safer trail than up on a ridge in
the middle of nowhere. She learned a lot from this hike, such as why
Thermorests are hazardous as a single pad choice in winter - although duct
tape or the repair kit can help. I'd suggest 2 Zrests or Ridgerests in
winter for the extra padding. Warm beats sleep in my book.

The comments on the emergency blanket are very appropriate. I'm considering
a test of the Hennessey Hammock with the mylar blanket as an additional
heat shield. Recent testers raved that it made this system worthy of cold
weather camping.

The one thing you left out is the need to get calories on board, especially
as soon as you hit camp. Exhaustion is a good early sign of hypothermia.
Getting into the sleeping bag is very tempting, but should be done as a
means of warming up while the water starts to boil. Little Debbies can be a
great quick boost in such a situation.

OrangeBug