tapping the list for info... was Re: [at-l] Mass & Vermont

--- Tom Hodge <ga2me@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am bewildered by this campfire.  There is no end to the chatty and cutesy
> messages relative to song lyrics and "little debbies" and yet absolutely no
> reply to an actual question about the AT.
> Thanks for the overwhelming response about resupply points in Mass and
> Vermont.
> Adieus.

### Sloetoe joins in with others...
1) My own availability to participate on the list is limited of late.
2) Am sure there's others on the list better qualified to respond to
specifics of your question.
3) You only presented the two stops you'd already chosen, and NOT your
itinerary, mileage, conditioning, pack weight, or other items which bear
HEAVILY on your flexibility to hit one town or another. No one here is a mind
reader, nor do we (always) have the time to run through every possible
permutation of the alternatives.

BUT HERE'S THE BIGGIE:
4) On some lists, it is deemed impolite to respond publically to a private
request. (But howinthehellare you supposed to know if anyone's ANSWERED?) So
there's this quandry: how do you know if the person's request for information
hasn't been answered (repeatedly) backchannel? To prevent this sort of
silliness, I usually answer "publically"; if I haven't seen any answers, and
feel I might have some info to benefit the inquirerer, I will ask backchannel
if the question got answered. There was a question on boots the other day
that didn't get much list traffic. I inquired of the lister, and was informed
that yes, all their questions were answered. ALL OF THIS HAPPENED
BACKCHANNEL.

Don't worry, Tom. We love you.
In cuteness and in fright, I remain
Your Sloetoe