Re: [at-l] Backpack and airplanes

Greetings,

I've flown with my external frame jansport a fair amount and I pack my gear
in a large duffel and put my pack, essentially empty except for a few very
light items (like the raincover) in a cardboard hanging bag box.  For my
Jansport, the only thing I have to disassemble is (disassemble? no
disassemble!) the one bar that juts out the back at the top, and even then
it's not loose since it's threaded through a fabric loop.  What to do with
the duffel when you get to your destination? I've: 1)mailed it forward to my
stopping point; 2) When flying back out of the same aiport (Newark, I
think), I've used their baggage storage service; 3) If using the same
shuttler, I've left it with them.

My hiking partner, who has a internal frame pack, does the same thing, but
just putting the whole pack in a duffel would probably work fine for an
internal.

Take Care,

Tim

On Thu, 03 Aug 2000 23:19:21 -0500, tjfort@netdoor.com wrote:

>  I, too, have often asked this same question.  But, with a different
>  twist.  I prefer an external pack.  I'm afraid I'd have to dismantle the
>  frame to prevent it from being crushed by some airport baggage handling
>  thingy.  I actually like the idea of sending my gear ahead of me via
>  UPS.  You probably stand a much better chance of it NOT getting lost,
>  nor, damaged.   Luckily, ???, I hate to fly to hike.
>
>  t.
>  * From the AT-L |  Need help? http://www.backcountry.net/faq.html  *

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html