[at-l] update..Flight of the Spirit Eagle

Greetings! We are taking a couple of days off in Ashland - both to rest and
resupply. We'll be shopping for the rest of Oregon, and mailing out boxes
to all the little resorts and guard stations along the way. With luck,
we'll have a little time to rest after all the errands are done.
The last few days have been very very hot, but really quite nice. Mt Shasta
is still our constant companion - we've spent the last few weeks circling
it, and it really is a magnificent sight. The views have been good through
most of northern California, despite the constant haze that seems to be
summer in California.
Had a nice stop at Seiad Valley. One hiker (not Jim) tried the pancake
challenge (5 humongous pancakes) but gave up after three. We only ate one
apiece, so we know that even that was a good try. With the 105degree temps,
we were happy to climb out of the valley the next day, though it was hard
to leave behind the cool river and the wonderful blackberries. Jim's new
boots gave up the ghost, so he is happily sending them back to the store
where we bought them, now that Dave sent a new pair of Lowas. We don't
expect boots to last the whole way, but six days is a bit soon to be
falling apart.
We're very glad to be in Oregon at last. One state down, only two to go.
Walk softly,
Ginnny and Jim
Spirit Eagle