Re: [at-l] GSMNP Proposed Itenerary redux

The first aid kit _is_ important, but often can be Tuckerized by looking at
quantities and packaging, as well as at items that have duplicate
functions. For instance, PolarPure or similar iodine can work like Povodine
or antibacterial cleaner in a pinch. Duct tape covers a variety of wounds.,....

Regarding water, I like to carry an emergency liter of fluids in the bottom
of my pack. I like to carry only 2 liters in my Platypus, with the plan to
pump whenever the opportunity arises. Carrying a gallon or more increases
weight and work, and might add to dehydration risk. With a heavy pack, you
will sweat and dehydrate quicker than someone with a lighter pack (unless
they are running and working up sweat in some other way). Of course, the
Gatorade thread could be cited here.

A handy place for a set set of scales can be your local grocery store. When
they are not busy, head over to produce and weigh away.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA