Re: [at-l] GSMNP Proposed Itenerary redux

First aid -- do as Jeff Hansen at WalasiYi (Neel Gap on the AT in No GA)
says in the video _Lightweight_Backpacking_Secrets_Revealed by Lynne
elden   -- carry enough for ONE incident of each kind -- one knuckle
bandage, one large bandage, and use what you have in an emergency -- poles
and duct-tape for a splint -- I carry enough bandaids for my toes that get
blisters (change them daily, carry used out, Of Course), two knuckle
bandages, two finger tips, two large ones, two butterflies, neosporin in the
foilpack (2), tickremover, a couple aspirin, ibuprophen, acetominephin,
benedryl, tums.  Small piece of moleskin.  And two secondskin pieces.
Except for the 'toebandaids' I have used only one knuckle bandage and
neosporin in my many overnghts and short sections on the AT.  I caught my
finger when moving an old fire-ring and cleaning up an overused campsite
(too many fire rings, removed two of four and left two that were not too
near each other).  Weight of entire kit is 4 ounces.

I TOO carry more water than most, ran out once on a hot summer UpHill
hike -- CARRY the water and when you're Tuckerizing, think "hmmm, this is
XXounces I can lose of gear and still carry all the water I need."

Coosa

-
What first aid supplies do people carry?  I have a fairly extensive first
aid kit, but after talking with some people that have thru-hiked it, they
carried almost nothing.  To me this seems like an important precautionary
thing and worth carrying in the event that something would happen.  Am I off
base here?

And I have this question.  I dehydrate VERY easily - and I've always had a
tendency to carry a lot of water - too much I'm sure.  We usually carry 2 ½
gallons for the two of us.  Having listened to everyone here, that seems
really excessive, but if I would run out of water and dehydrate, I get
REALLY sick. So what would be a good safe amount of water without being
excessive?