Re: [at-l] GSMNP Proposed Itenerary redux

on 6/16/00 9:04 AM, Denise Hluhan at DHLUHAN@mbakercorp.com wrote:

> So what a normal weight.  I always pack with someone, and I always end up
> carrying the 2-man tent - which is fine (easier to keep it all together).
> Somehow I doubt that the food he carries counter balances the weight of the
> tent.  Basically the only things of any weight in my pack are tent, sleeping
> bag, water filter, stove, first aid supplies, mess kit, fire starting
> materials, hammock, book and water - but it weighs a lot.

Normal is an interesting question. I used to think that normal was 50-60
pounds for me. Now it's 15-25. I just don't need as much stuff on the trail
as I used to need - that is when I go solo. When I'm hiking with the Boy
Scouts, I carry much more "stuff" and normal approaches 35 pounds for a
weekend trip, with 50 not out of the question.

> What first aid supplies do people carry?  I have a fairly extensive first aid
> kit, but after talking with some people that have thru-hiked it, they carried
> almost nothing.  To me this seems like an important precautionary thing and
> worth carrying in the event that something would happen.  Am I off base here?

Personal comfort with first-aid skills and options drives this one. On my
thru-hike I carried duct tape, Band-Aids, mole skin, alcohol wipes,
Ibuprofen and Rolaids. I used it all. I did NOT expect to be the drug store
for my hiking friends. I was hiking a solo hike, and if I happened to be in
a place where someone needed some mole skin and I had it I'd offer, but I
did not seek out people who needed assistance. I am SOLO Wilderness First
Responder trained. This is an 80 hour, 10 day course targeted at guides and
rangers. I was not "working" on my hike. Call it selfish and anti-societal,
but I was alone in the woods in my mind and was quite happy with the stock I
carried and my abilities to get out of the woods to a more equipped facility
if necessary.

There are risks in this sport. What you choose to carry is in direct
proportion to how much risk you are willing to take.

> And I have this question.  I dehydrate VERY easily - and I've always had a
> tendency to carry a lot of water - too much I'm sure.  We usually carry 2 1Ž2
> gallons for the two of us.  Having listened to everyone here, that seems
> really excessive, but if I would run out of water and dehydrate, I get REALLY
> sick. So what would be a good safe amount of water without being excessive?

I filled two quart bottles in the morning and drank them by noon on most
days. I would stop at water as often as I needed to and always hydrated well
at night. This is a very personal thing, but when I carried water in wet
country I would feel really stupid. I do not mind stopping to filter water
all day long.

-p

--
Paddler