[at-l] My Gear Pt 1

Denise Hluhan wrote:

> So what a normal weight.

Forgive us if we don't answer that....
to do so would smack of rules and guidelines and
that's NOT what we're about.  We offer guidance and suggestions ...
And some good natured kidding<g>

> I always pack with someone, and I always end up carrying the 2-man tent

What a deal <g>.  I pack a two man too cause I hike with two dogs but
one of the dogs carries the tent body and fly.  It's OK, I carry the
poles and her food so her share is 4.5 pounds which is less than 10%
of her body weight.  But like you, her pack weight doesn't go down
with time like the one carrying the food.

>Basically the only things of any weight in my pack are tent, sleeping >bag, water filter, stove, first aid supplies, mess kit, fire starting >materials, hammock, book and water - but it weighs a lot.

My two man is the older version of the Eureka Mountain Pass,
(The big brother of the Zephyr) before they added the new features.
(a larger vestibule and a second door added a pound  to
what used to be a fine light weight tent).  The closest thing
to it now is the Backcountry2 approx 5lb 4oz.

http://www.campmor.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=46036

It lacks a cookable vestibule but I have a piece of Tyvek,that I can
cook under if need be.  One nice thing about the AT is the shelters.
Even if you don't want to sleep there, you can always cook there. I
like free standing easy pitch tents and this fits the bill.

I also have a zephyr (again without the new vestibule and the added
1lb 4 oz) which is a really nifty tent

http://www.campmor.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=12282

and and coleman peak 1 cobra which
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/prod_subcategory.asp?CategoryID=11040&SourcePage=Prod_category_main.asp

hasn't seen any real action cause I haven't sealed the seams yet.

I want a nomad
http://wanderlustgear.com/

As to sleeping bags, if you can tolerate a mummy style you can save
a lot of weight.  I can't yet so my semi rect bags are heavier than
the norm. I don't have url's for them but my 50* bag came from Campore
and weighs about 2lbs, my 30*came from LLbeam and weighs about 3.4
lbs.
This is my next purchase...I'm looking for a good 0* degree bag...and
I WILL have it before the next RUCK <g>.

When it's really hot, I use an army poncho liner as a blanket.  REALLY
nifty things, they weigh only 1lb 4 oz and are basically a very
light weight quilt.  Look for them at an Army surplus store or I bet
you could find them on the net too.  Pretty cheap around 20 bucks I
think and good down to about 60 degrees. If you have dogs, good to
near
40 <g>.

I'm one of those oddballs that likes a exterior frame pack <g>,
but to my mind, it's foolish to carry a pack that weighs more
than 5 pounds empty.  My winter packs (  Camp Trails Mckinley)
weighs 4lbs 10 and is really too big for what I carry so eventually I
may switch to a Adjustible II and save almost a pound.
http://www.campmor.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=76412&cgmenbr=226&sort=A

Actually, I found a used exframe that weighs less that a pound (just
the frame) and I'm thinking of just loading my stuff into silnylon
sacks and strapping then directly to the frame.  That should give
me a 2.5 lb exframe pack (the extra weight coming from the shoulder
straps and waste bands.  All I need is a roundtuit, I guess <g>.

This is getting long...to be continued.