Re: [at-l] Southern Vermont

Greetings,

I hiked the Dalton, MA to Manchester Center, VT section late last month.
Every hiker I camped with had a headnet, and the headnet of choice was the
one I had, an Outdoor Research (OR) brand that has a metal ring to keep it
away from your face.  Twist the metal ring in a figure-eight and then once
more and it collapses into a ring about 4 inches across for packing.  It
weighs next to nothing.  When hiking, the black flies didn't bother me at
all, but on the warmer days when it wasn't raining I needed it in camp, and
occasionally at rest breaks.  REI has it for 8.95, I think.  Deet also
seemed to help.

It was cool enough at night that I didn't have to wear it to sleep.  Also,
the flies can't bite through fabric, so a lightweight longsleeve shirt
worked great for me.

Have a good hike,

Tim Rich
Kennesaw, GA