[at-l] Black Flies

Gary said:
<<I don't know a whole lot about blackflies, but
what I have read I don't much like.>>

Don't know about black flies??? They're practically the regional 'bird' in
New England at times.  Here, let me quote from a bug website:

"Black flies are 1/8 to 1/5 of an inch (2-5 mm) long. They are plump-bodied
with short, cutting mouth parts used to slice the skin and create blood
pools from which they feed. Bites may be most numerous on the underside and
ears of animals. On humans, bites are common around the hairline, the neck,
behind the ears and around the ankles."  If you're interested the site
compares and describes deer flies, mosquitos, black flies and no-see-ums.
Here it is

http://199.212.16.18/epb/factsheets/bkyard_bug/biting_flies.html

Actually if you watch them bite (on someone elses skin) you can see them
rip a little hole and dip their whole head in to drink.  Not like a
mosquito at all.  Good luck with them, and happy hiking :-)  Oh, and for
reference, I use Cutter's Tick spray (higher percent of deet than bug
spray, but not too high).  I put it on my hands, and rub it onto my skin
lightly.  It works for me.

Twilight