Re: [at-l] Southern Vermont

MrsGorp@aol.com wrote:

> Blackflies, skeeters, and lots of other hikers.  Bring a headnet.

Actually, I read that trip report, and was hoping it wasn't true. Or
maybe exaggerated to kid the outlanders (I can hope, can't I?). What am
I getting myself into? I don't know a whole lot about blackflies, but
what I have read I don't much like.

Does one wear the headnet? Or just sleep with it? Wear it while hiking,
at just at breaks? I suspect it is hot to wear. I hear DEET doesn't much
work.

On the radio this morning I heard Avon Skin-so-soft advertised as Avon
Skin-so-Soft Bug Plus. Seems they have awakened to a marketing activity.

Any good advice on what kind of headnet to get? Does any one type of
brand outperform the others? Color of netting? Do they weigh much? Any
places in the DC area selling them?

- Gary from Fairfax, Confused Southerner