Re: [at-l] Dehydration Questions for 'The Doc-In-The-House'

--- TOKTAADN@aol.com wrote:
> sloetoe@yahoo.com writes:
> > > 5) FYI, hit GBuff's 800WeSweat.com site for his rehydration/energy
drink
> for ultramarathoners -- his ingredients are listed. .  .  .  If I'm truly
> concerned, I'm either downing Succeed! Caps or Gary Buffington's Conquest!
>
> I spent hours with Dr. Gary Buffington at last year's Trail Days and he
> felt that there is way too much consumption of electrolyte replacement
> drinks by casual athletes in our society.  And that water is the perfect
> means of rehydration for all but the elite athlete running marathons,
> triathlons, ultramarathons, etc.  He developed CONQUEST specifically for
> their needs.  I'm taking his advice and sticking to water.

OUCHIE!!!!!
The problem here Solar Bear is that the need to rehydrate has much less to do
with the distance covered and much more to do with the stress placed on the
individual runner/hiker. Contributing heavily to the stress's impact is the
amount of prior experience, too. (Think of OrangeBug's comments about the
"many hikers" who run into K-induced leg cramps at the end of long day's
hike: are these New England throughhiker's who've survived the overequipped
backpacks of the southern AT and the hydration "challenges" of the
midATlantic summer? Noooo.) People in poor health crack a sweat attempting a
flight of stairs -- we've all been there.

Putting these thoughts together, the people who run into hydration troubles
are *less*often* experienced athletes and more often casual athletes looking
to extend themselves -- it's stress, not miles.

Sign me "A Very Casual Athlete".....

=====
Sloetoe

"And yet we shouldn't have needed the cataclysm to love life
today. It would have been enough to think that we are humans,
and that death may come this evening."   Marcel Proust, 1922.

http://im.yahoo.com/