[at-l] Potpourri that stinks...

Howdy all. It is amazing how much litter 3 cats can use in 5 days. I
wish they had used a little more, to be honest. I really wish they had
used it in the litter box, instead of the livingroom. This has become a
habit I hope to change. Anyway, if I may make a few comments about a few
comments:

I hope we all remember that out on the Trail the stuff that we (the
AT-L) seem to discuss with much fervor and vehemence, usually isn't
discussed at all. Most people don't even realize there are e-mailing
lists and the sort. And, I think, Wingfoot is discussed the same on the
Trail as he is here. Some support and some detract. No big deal.

I think that there is a misconception about information that is given on
these lists. I honestly don't think that what I learned from the list
had anything to do with the success or failure of my hike. It (the list)
certainly made it more fun at times. I certainly enjoyed the 'magic'
that was directly related to the list (places to stay, mailed gifts,
equipment loaned, hiking with listers for a while, rides...etc). But, I
honestly don't know that I 'learned' anything that I would have not
figured out fairly quickly on the trail. I may have even 'learned'
things that I wish I hadn't known. So, the simple truth is, people have
successfully thru-hiked a long time before we came along and will
continue to do so.

I also read that someone said that we thru-hike to get away from a
life/world where people tell us what to do only to go hike past every
white blaze because someone tells us to. These were definitely not
factors with my hiking as a purist. I didn't thru-hike to get away from
anything. I thru-hiked because I wanted to thru-hike. To accomplish
hiking the AT. And, for me, that meant hiking past (I hope) every white
blaze.

About the Florida trip: Had a great time. Visited with Stoat for most of
5 days. Spent the night with Earthworm and made a little money and stole
a few knick-type knacks. Got to talk trail with strngers. The only
souvenir I bought was a "McGillicuddy" coffee mug. One word of
warning...don't take the first shower at Earthworm's house.

About the Earl Shaffer book: I'm tempted to tell the story of how an old
man tried to put cream in the coffee of a young man. Tempted, indeed.
I'll just bet ya they wouldn't let it in, though.

About .com: I'm glad she dropped the name. There'll be plenty to fit her
and her situation better. ("Wingfoot Banned It")

Did we really have a lister named John Kennedy?

Choovers (if I may) Keep on not smokin'.

Now, who left a dead lizard on my kitchen table?

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98