[pct-l] Running Shoe vs HIking Boot

 Hi PCT-L listers ...
   from another 200#er ... one of several ideas that I tried and rejected
from the Book Of Jardene was running shoes for backpacking ... mainly because
of the many cholla and sharp rocks here in New Mexico.  As with most of the
rejected ideas, I found a compromise, in this case, the LL Bean "Rugged
Walkers." These low-cut shoes have a good tread, thick foot-bed, are
comfortable, and weigh only about a pound more than running shoes.  Some
other advantages: easy break-in, EE widths, low price [$55 FED EX to your
door], and they'll take a heel-screw to attach gaiters [try putting one of
these in your Nike Airs]!  Of importance to a thru-hiker: you can order a
replacement pair toll-free during your trek, and know exactly what's coming.
        Blaze  GA-ME "94
[Bean (in whom I have no commercial interest other than as a customer) also
makes an oversize 20 degree sleeping bag for us double-wides].