[pct-l] News from the Trail: Goforth

July 16, 1999
Friday

Dear List Members --

        Well, it has been a while -- I mailed Karen's address home with my
journal so that Tuolumne, Sonora, + Echo Lake passed before I was able to
get the address again.

        The journey north of Tuolumne was challenging -- more demanding, I
think, than the High Sierras south of there. Crossing the Kerrick Canyon
Dreek was for me the most challenging river crossing. The rocks were slick
(south of there the rocks have more friction) & at the deepest place there
was a standing wave mounding up in front of my belly + every time I took
another step I felt I was going to lose it. I do not think I could have done
it without trekking poles.

        I loved Vermillion Valley & after leaving wondered if there would
ever be another resupply stop which I would look forward to as much. Butch +
Peggy have the hearts of Trail Angels, and the conflicts that come with
trying to manage and financially survive having a resort. I think that if
anyone drives the road from Shaver Lake to Vermillion, they will understand
the expense of running Vermillion.

        I resupplied at Kennedy Meadows, 11 miles west from Sonora Pass. I
hitched with a Russian couple (very interesting) + arrived on the night of
the 4th of July -- surprised to find about a thousand people there + a very
festive atmosphere, but too late for a dinner at the hotel (jammed to the
gills). We celebrated Troubador's birthday the next morning, when he + 2
other thruhikers arrived.

        North of Sonora, I began to feel like something was missing -- my
legs just seemed to have no energy / power at all. It continues through Echo
Lake, where I met my sister who reported to my husband that I look "just
terrible". Upon leaving S. Lake Tahoe to resume hiking, I met Tom Thompson +
we stayed together for 6 days -- coming together at night to camp. Nice to
have company after 2 months alone.

        Still, I think I have the trailwise, blisterfree, snowfree, sexfree,
hot day *Sierra City Blues*. I've lost 20 pounds and think I need to eat
more on rest stops, more protein, + maybe am missing an essential fatty acid
(flax seed oil - linoleic acid).

        The fact remains however that I am still hiking. It is curious that
as slow as I am, I am not really being passed by other thruhikers. There are
about 15 thruhikers that I have been leapfrogging with. I see them at
resupplies, they pass me on the trail, but it seems I must spend less time
in town. Can't say, but it seems nobody is passing us. From the registers we
know who is in front of us -- we don't always know if someone "leaves" the
trail.

        Notes are left on the trail -- pinned to trees, under rocks, on
signs. Such notes are often addressed + then folded for privacy. I counted
10 pin holes on one such note. I have seen a "Dear John" note, a jilted
relationship note, and the desperateness of a slower companion somehow
bypassing a faster one (the slow one in front is going faster + faster to
try to catch up + the faster person in back has slowed to a stop to try to
find the companion -- & their efforts are getting them farther + farther
apart).

        This is a different world -- I am not sure you can really know it
until you have done it. I will be more surprised than anybody if I make it
to Manning.

        Best of summer + health to you all.

                Goforth