[pct-l] Netiquette

We have been off-line for a few days.  Our local phone company is
laying fiber optic cables in our neighborhood and our phones have
been off more than they have been on.  I want to respond to the
discussion on "Netiquette," because it is really a topic of manners
and commonsense!

Our Grandson is 15 (going on 100!) and has been taking PC classes
since elementary school.  As part of their training they were given
guidelines to use for posting e-mails, participating in a chat
room, and just general etiquette. Some of us are older and haven't
had the priviledge of being taught these simple rules before we get
on the net.  Here is the guideline they were told to use, most are
just good old commonsense, but some are "net-special."

	1.  Don't type in all caps! (ITS LIKE SHOUTING!)
	2.  Refrain from using bad language
	3.  Don't answer unsolicitated messages
	4.  Be yourself -- don't lie about who you are, age, sex,
		etc.
	5.  Show respect for the others on line -- no name calling,
		etc.
	6.  "Lurk before you leap" helps keep you from making "flame
		bait"	 and start "flame wars."
	7.  No flame wars, attack an idea if you must, but not
		people. Disagreement is a way to learn.
 	8.  Keep "flames" off line if you must "flame"
	9.  Don't post private messages -- that's like
		telling secrets
     10. Make sure you know what you are talking about before
		posting. Everyone is an expert, but not everyone
		knows what they are talking about!
     11.  Have patience with newcomers, or "newbies"
     12.  Keep to the point in a discussion. People don't
		want to read a sermon so keep it short
		  (OMG what am I doing?)
     13.  Don't attach other peoples messages in your reply unless
		 you have to make a point, but keep it brief!
     14.  Don't be a "net.spewer," and send messages to everyone

I am told from my Grandson that there are several sites you can get
on that will give you more details on "Netiquette" than they were
given.  So go search if you have any other quesitons, that is what
the net was designed to do!

That's my 2cents worth.

Happy Trails --  Pat