[pct-l] Re: Outragous Tarps, Bivy and BackPacks

>wrote: >From: David_Clark@candle.com
>Subject: [pct-l] Outragous Tarps
>had a list on equipment. I looked at the tarp section. They listed a Moss
>Heptawing tarp. It covers 65 Sq. Ft.
>The list price is $169.00. For something you could make for $40.00 tops.
>And it weighs only 3 lbs.

If your partner uses hiking poles you don't have to take the poles
that come with the tent. I prefer sleeping under the stars, but we'll
set it up if there's a possibility of rain. It's easy to cook under in
bad weather or if you get in camp late and you want to cook while
lying in your sleeping bag. It stuffs (for those who stuff their
tents) in a smaller bag than my Bibler or my Walrus (the old one-man
two hoop version; I never use it). We've also got three people under
it during bad weather. In the Sierra we'll use the Heptawing as early
as May, but now it's put away for the season and out comes the Bibler
for the colder weather.

The only problem with it is: it's too heavy for solo and if we head to
the Sierra Crest to bag some peaks and passes we take the Bivys. Too
much wind above timber line is cause for restless nights under the
Heptawing.

>From: "Margo J. Chisholm" <margo@tothesummit.com>
>Subject: [pct-l] bivy sac an option?

I bought my first bivy in '79 and have worn it to pieces throughout
the years. On trips in Oregon and Washington I've been stuck in the
thing for longer than a day which isn't fun (I'll never use it in the
Olympics again). For late spring, summer and early fall, when I go
solo or with someone who doesn't use walking poles, the bivy is what I
take. By the way, this year I bought a new no frills Integral Designs
Bivy to replace my 20 year old no frills Marmot.

>From: GentlyTred@aol.com
>Subject: [pct-l] Ultra light backpacks

Osprey came out with an ultra light series (Alpine?) last year that
looked interesting. I too have a Dana Design Alpine that Dana Gleason
made for me in the late 70's when I lived in Bozeman. It's a great
pack that I still use when I travel abroad (I don't care what happens
to it). Last I heard Dana sold (or was about to sell) to K2 and they
were going to move the pack assembly portion to Mexico.

If you have the extra $$$ and live near Seattle you ought to visit Dan
McHale. I have both the Alpineer and the original rucksack. I use the
rucksack for most everything I do. It's a little iffy with more than
45 lbs. of stuff, but none worse than my Dana.

Dave

        Dave Encisco
        dencisco@eos.arc.nasa.gov