[pct-l] bivy sac an option?

On my '79 PCT attempt, Early Winters came out with the first Goretex 2
lb bivy sac I'd seen while I was hiking.  It had one fiberglass stay to
hold up the front end and bug netting.  My dad met me at a resupply
point and showed the catalog to me.  SOLD!!!  I carried it for a month
and a half through most of the Sierras and liked it alot.  I've since
taken to using a bivy sac on all my solo trips.  I live in the desert
southwest so rain is just an occasional problem.  I'm not sure I'd like
it for extended rain use.  I think you could carry light plastic tarp
and rig that for extra protection during rain storms.  I've used my
minimalist 1 lb bivy sac so much that I've worn out the floor and I
haven't seen a similar replacement.
                   Jeff Jones