Re: [pct-l] training methods

In a message dated 11/10/98 8:51:35 PM EST, AndrewY@micrografx.com writes:

<< I was wondering what sort of training programs people have found useful in
 preparing for thru-hikes.....Does jogging work the same muscles as
hiking? I would expect so, but maybe the speed makes a difference. >>

IMO, running and hiking don't work precisely the same muscles, but any aerobic
exercise  (running, swimming, basketball, tennis) will do a lot to prepare you
for long distance hiking.  I did a lot of running since that's what I enjoy,
and still had to "ramp up" to a 20 mile hiking day.  However, acclimation came
quickly and the uphill stretches were easier than expected.  Hill running
should be really helpful.

One responder cautioned about training with a heavy pack.  I agree absolutely.
Any overloading in a training regimen has a high risk of causing injury.  It
also takes all the fun out of it.  Better to be consistent, i.e., 30 or more
minutes, four times a week.