[pct-l] Re: Introduction/Tahoe-Yosemite Trail Question

Hi,

I've been reading this list for about a year.  I grew up hiking and
backpacking, starting out hiking the Yosemite High Sierra Camps with the
parents when I was 8 and backpacking at 12.  I'm now 42, lived and worked in
Yosemite Valley from '91-'94.  While living there, I never thought I would be
capable of hiking the JMT.  But a friend had done it, and in '97, between
jobs, I knew it was time to try.  At that point, I didn't know thru hiking,
such as the PCT, was so popular.  All I knew was I had to see that part of the
Sierra, to have images of that area in my brain and to look at a map and know
it by having walked it.  I read Jardine's book which helped tremendously in
getting more knowledgeable on what to bring.  The hike was the best thing I've
ever done.  I read this list somewhat as a spectator as I will probably never
attempt the big thru hikes,  but I definitely want to try more hikes of the
length of the JMT.  So, I'm thinking of hiking the Tahoe-Yosemite Trail next
summer.  I have Winnett's book on this trail and Jardine's book that lists the
mail drops for food. But I'm not clear on the mail drops.  Are there any on
this trail besides Echo Lake Resort?  Also, any strong preferences on whether
to hike north to south or south to north?  Thanks very much for your help.

Lynn Wollenweber
JMT '97
lwollenweb@aol.com