Re: [pct-l] maps

In a message dated 98-04-23 09:34:07 EDT, best@puc.texas.gov writes:

<< What is the scale of the maps in the two volume pct guide books?  Does  the
scale change on some maps and if so,  what is the new scale?  >>

This is not a direct answer to your question, but is easier to remember when
you question the scale of a map.

Section lines are marked on all topo maps; sections are 1 square mile. (There
are some exceptions.) Section lines provide a quick estimate of "how far."
Since we are not calling in military air strikes, being "close" is often all
we need to know. Additionally, we ARE (for the most part) hiking a trail, not
hiking cross-country.

Another thing to remember about sections is that there is a bronze "section
marker" at the corners of each section (and in some cases, a 10-foot tall
white plastic pipe). The marker indicates the section numbers of the four
sections which meet at that particular point.

With the sections numbers, you can locate your exact position on the map. This
is very helpful when hiking through chaparral as one square mile may look very
much like the next.

Charlie Jones