[pct-l] trail(?) story

I posted this a few months ago but I think its still fun. So in response to
the request for stories, here goes.

  "Lesson 1: Always Bring a Flashlight"

On my '82 thru-hike, I had a lay-over at Stehekin. I was directed to the
backpacker's campsites on the hill. Set-up camp and thought I'd wander down
to the restaurant for dinner, in the late afternoon. I met a person at the
restaurant who I had a long dinner conversation with. I couldn't turn-down
his offers of keeping my wine glass full. By the time I left the restaurant,
I was feeling pretty good, as it was the first alcohol I had consumed during
the entire trip. I headed back down the road to the camp. Realizing I had
forgotten my flashlight, I groped around the hill in the dark trying to find
my tent. No luck. No doubt, I felt pretty stupid. After a half hour of
unsuccessful hunting I headed back down to the road.

For whatever reason, too much pride perhaps, I didn't go back to the
restaurant to request help in finding the site. Along the way, I passed by
the building that housed the laundry room and showers, below what might have
been housing for employees.
With nothing much more than long pants and a pile jacket for warmth, I tried
sleeping on the wooden grate in the shower. With not enough room to
stretch-out on the cold floor, I tried sleeping on top of the washer and
dryer. Those became just as cold. Some partying was going on upstairs and I
thought for sure someone was going to walk in and find me there. No one ever
did, but I never got any sleep.