[pct-l] re: waterproofing

Steph writes:

...Does anyone have a recommendation on a more full-proof
system of waterproofing?

A few months ago, Backpacker magazine did a review on waterproofing
materials on boots. I don't recall the month, but its the issue
(appropriately enough) with the boots on the cover. They put all the most
commonly available waterproofing treatments to the test. What shook out was
based on durability of the treatment to flexing and subsequent immersion in
water. It appeared the winners were Tectron spray and Nixwax Aqueous wax
brush-on paste. There's several variations of the Nixwax treatments. Perhaps
the one you got wasn't one of the top-rated treatments or you were in a
wetter than average environment(I've seen pictures of those boggy portages!
One Nixwak product ranked low, like their tests of Snowseal, Biwell,
Beeseal).

The author recommended a bi-component plan of attack. First two coats of the
Tectron Spray (with recommended drying time between coats)and Nixwax Aqueos
Wax for field touch-up. I purchased a pair of boots
last weekend (yes, the guy with the blown-out ankles finally settles on some,
'98 Asolo Globalines, heck, they're lighter than my old Asolo Yukons). Prior
to applying the Tectron, I applied a coat of REI's seam lock (?) on the
stitching of the uppers. I've heard conflicting opinions regarding this
stuff, such as "leads to premature stitching failure". I don't know if this
is necessarily true.