[pct-l] Re: Orthotics

My feet were the main reason Walt and I got off the trail last year.  I
didn't realize that people with dry feet will have a harder time long
distance hiking than those with moist feet!  The first week on the trail
Walt got 2 blisters at the same time and they were gone in a day -- he has
moist feet!  He cut his boot where the hot spot was and never looked back.
While I, with the dry feet, walked in agony most of the way. After several
layovers, podiatrists, x-rays, second skin, surefeet, foot cream, and
shoe/sock changes, got some relief.  Dummie me had orthotics at home but
didn't bring them with me on the PCT!!!

Just as important as boot/shoe fit is foot type. Charlie said he has a high
ach in his foot requiring lots of arch support. Using orthotics (or
surefeet, etc.) will also help to avoid ankle injury by giving your whole
foot more support and less fatigue. I also have high arches and started
using surefeet (they helped a great deal) in big Bear and wished that I had
used my orthotics from the beginning.

What I am trying to say, in my rambling way, is to look at the WHOLE
picture, not just the boot!  It would be a good investment to go to a
podiatrist with your 1st choice of footware in hand and get an evaluation.
Explain your hiking requirement (your terrain/mileage coverage) so the
podiatrist will be able to evaluate the stress your feet will be under.  It
may be as big, if not bigger, an investment than anything besides pack
weight you do toward the success of your hike.

I have developed Tarsal Tunnel Syndrom from not wearing my orthotics last
year!  Please don't make the same mistake I did!  For those of you who have
dry feet too, Lac-Hydrin 12%, works great for me NOW (wished I had it on the
PCT).  This is an expensive prescription cream ($42 for 400G - large
bottle!) but it works and is slow to wash off (making fording with it on not
so bad.) Walt was great to trim my nails and shave off the callouses that
developed on the balls of my feet, but in the long run it was those elusive
orthotics I should have used.  It is very important to keep callouse
trimmed,  they build up and pinch nerves causing lots of pain!

The PCT was a wonderful life fulfilling experience for us and I wish the
same for you -- don't make the same mistake I did.  Please -- buy good
fitting footwear AND SEE A PODIATRIST before you leave, it might just make
your trip successful and enjoyable.

Pat ---Happy Trails Couple