Re: [pct-l] Non linear hiking the PCT.

Ryan,

Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah! First off, I didn't mean to re-copy your entire
message, but in my zeal to reply, I inadvertently answered yes to the
question "Copy the message?" Sorry.

But what I really wanted to say is that I sincerely appreciate your
refreshing point of view. Wilderness is preserved for just those reasons
that you mentioned in your post, to be there to serve as a catalyst for
renewal, spiritual or otherwise. The fact that you made a conscious
decision to alter your well-made plans and hike the PCT in a way that
allowed you to be more open (to your perceptions as well as to the
experiences on the PCT) is great! You were able to make a decision that
probably forever altered the way you look at wilderness, and that added to
your well-being in profound as well as subtle ways.

On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Ryan Christensen wrote:

> 	Hello to all out there. I have been reading the posts for quite a while
> and decided that it was time for me to pitch in my 2-cents. First let me
> introduce myself. I hiked the PCT from Mexico to Oregon last year. I am
> currently going to Humboldt State University to study Environmental
> Science. My life will never be the same after my PCT experience last year.
> Let me attempt to tell my PCT story. Now really it would take an entire
> book to give my PCT experience justice, the following story is like mearly
> skipping a pebble on the surface of the ocean in comparison the depth of
> experience that lays beneath.
> 	It seems that most of the posts on this list have mainly focused on
> equipment questions and other logistics--- while that is important, it is
> only a means to the end. Last year at this time I was completely involved
> with getting my food and equipment together. I was planning on thru hiking
> the entire trail. My schedule was laid out, my mind set. I started at the
> Mexican border at April 28th with another hiker I met through the
> communicator. We got along great!! We COULD have hiked the whole trail
> together, but after a week of being out there we realized that what we
> really wanted to do was be solo. Looking back I realize that I just needed
> to be self confident enough to hike the trail alone. I love the freedom and
> solitude solo hiking gives.
> 	I had HUGE expectations of what the trail was going to be like and how it
> would change me, but is paled in comparison to the beauty of the PCT
> experience I actually had. Day after day, sunrise, sunset, full moon, half
> moon, new moon. I saw the cycles of the earth turn around and around. I
> felt a part of it. Every day I loved to spiritually feel the land I walked
> through. There where hot, difficult days in So. Cal. but I still loved it.
> My god-- thinking about it now gets me all wound up! The PCT is simply
> awesome.
> 	I kept up with my schedule so that I could get to Canada on time up until
> I got to Kennedy Meadows. There at the beginning of the High Sierras I was
> overwhelmed in its beauty. I would literally cry and smile in tears. After
> being out in the wilderness so long you emotions and senses develop and
> sharpen. There I realized that my true goals have changed, I wanted to
> enjoy every moment, every day on the trail. I wanted to saunter through
> these mountains, not breeze through. Often I would sit next to the trail
> for a break and would see other tru hikers breeze by me completely unaware
> that I was sitting right next to them. I wanted to open up my senses, I
> wanted to enjoy the present moment--- JUST BE. My ego goals of reaching
> Canada was closing me up to experiences I would have never had.
> 	It was hard to accept this change in plans, all Ray Jardine, and some
> other hikers talk about is making it. To Ray Jardine everything is very
> [...]
Craig W. Smith      FAX: (417) 873-7432
Associate Librarian      Phone:    (417) 873-7339
F. W. Olin Library       E-mail:   csmith@lib.drury.edu
Drury College
Springfield, MO 65802

"O Solitude! If I must with thee dwell, let it not be among the jumbled
heaps of murky buildings--Climb with me the steep, Nature's
Observatory..."

 From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List | For info http://www.hack.net/lists -