From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Tortoise
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 6:13 PM
To: Hiker97@aol.com; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Section E Expediton Impressions

Random thoughts about dirt bikes, etc. on the trail.

My "ideal" solution would be to string piano wire across the trail about
neck high for a rider on a trail bike with some markings so a slow
moving person on foot would see it and take appropriate evasive move,
but the biker . . . .

Now more seriously, I'm wondering about leaving some decent size logs or
rocks crosswise on the trail.  Something that a hiker could easily step
over (and hopefully also horses, etc.) while forcing the bikers to at
least dismount and lessen their joy of tearing down trails.

As to trail markers, I suggest using diamonds cut from aluminum
beer/soda cans. No markings, just a "blaze". Hikers would know they are
on the trail but the markers would have little or no souviner value so
less likely to be taken.

----------
Tortoise

Hiker97@aol.com wrote:
> Several weeks ago when on the big Section E expedition, I noticed a lot of

> dirt bike damage to the trail between Lake Hughes and Hwy. 138.  Not all
parts
> of the trial, but a lot of parts.  The later rain erosions and damage
these
> vehicles do is amazing.  In some places the bike erosion almost made  the
> trail seem impassable.  It wasn't, but you kind of felt that way.
>
> I also noticed the fine work of cutting back trail brush that the Trail
> Maintainers do too.  Very nice to walk through heavy brush sections and
have the
> it cut far back from the trail.  Of course, I wanted more PCT  signs.
They