[pct-l] update on WA resupply options

Greetings from a long-time list-lurker and section hiker.

During some downtime in the long Thanksgiving week of family feasting in
Seattle, I had a chance to drive up to Skykomish and Stevens Pass to
clarify a few things for my 800-mile section next year. From my previous
research, Skykomish didn't sound like a very attractive option at all -- no
real grocery store, one overpriced motel and not much of anything else at
all -- except the Dinsmores, Washington state's beloved counterpart to the
Saufleys. I was seriously thinking of taking the east option, hitching to
full-service Leavenworth.

Here's the current situation as of 11/05 in Skykomish: Directly on Highway
2 there's a small liquor store/deli and a Chevron with a mini-mart in it.
Cross the river on the big steel bridge heading for the main drag and
you'll immediately see the tiny PO on your left and, adjacent to it, the
motel, the Sky River Inn. (360) 677-2261, www.skyriverinn.com. It was
absolutely deserted Thanksgiving week when I rolled through, not a single
car in the lot. The main drag, Railroad Ave., was also devoid of any
activity. On Railroad Ave. first see the Whistling Post Tavern on the left,
which will possibly be the only option for restaurant food in town,
depending on when you come through. About 50 yards past the Whistling Post,
see the Cascadia Inn. (www.historiccascadia.com/Lodging.html Phone 360
677-2030 or toll-free 866 677-2030.) There are modest rooms with a shared
bath for $40-$50. The cafe in the Cascadia Inn is operating, but on limited
hours. It's currently closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays. It'd be best to call
next summer to recheck the schedule.

Incidentally, while I'm on the topic of Washington resupply stops, I noted
that once again there is a grocery store operating at Snoqualmie Pass --
Lee's Summit Grocery. I didn't go in to check it out, but it looks quite
substantial. It's unclear if it's just a seasonal operation when the skiers
are on the hill or if it's a full-service, year-round deal. No idea which
business may have picked up the USPS contract for service once Time-Wise
shut down. The big Safeway and other full-service amenities are a loooong
hitch west down I-90, in North Bend.

Sorry I couldn't offer a more detailed report from these drive-bys. It was
a balmy 24 degrees (not counting wind chill) mid-afternoon at Stevens Pass
and I just didn't feel like walking around all that much.

DP