[pct-l] Bright colors

 From the air at a quarter of a mile, you can cover something the size
of a tent with a pencil eraser held at arms length. I'm a former search
and rescue aircrew member, and I will tell you that spotting even
something large and brightly colored is tough under the best of
circumstances.
Here are some alternates:

Gather enough material to make a big X - 20 feet or so across, that
will look decidedly unnatural against the background. On snow, lay out
a big X with logs, evergreen boughs, and will work in open meadow and
open ground. No logs or boughs? Build something from stones, or dig a
trench that big. Yeah, its an earth-moving project but you do what you
have to do in an emergency.
Another signaling device is to rig a clothesline as long as possible
and hang as much stuff from it as you can. The long straight line and
stuff flapping in the breeze can attract attention.

Be very careful about flares and signal fires, which will work, but can
get out of hand quickly, so consider static signals above first. I
carry a signal mirror, visible for many miles if used properly.
Yet another possibility is to carry a smoke marker. This could even be
the small 4th of July kind, and are in general slightly less of a fire
hazard. But
SAVE THEM UNTIL A RESCUE TEAM IS IN YOUR SIGHT!
You would not believe how many people get into trouble, fire off all
their flares in the first two minutes and then have nothing left when a
search team flies overhead an hour later. Picture Tom Hanks, standing
on the beach in the dark waving a little flashlight at a boat on the
horizon.

Above all, practice what you will do to attract attention beforehand,
and keep your head in an emergency.

Mo Jo