[pct-l] What attracts Bears

I have been backpacking for twenty years, mostly in the Canadian Rockies, as well as the PCT in 2003.
We definitely live in grizzly country, and there are some black bears, too. I have gone backpacking at all times of the month. So far, I have had no problems with bears, for any reason (touch wood). Maybe I have just been lucky. We are careful with all our garbage, including hygiene products, as Donna described. We also never have food in or near our tent at any time.
Gail Des Moulins
PCT 2003