[pct-l] Data Book Mileposts

I suppose there's many ways of counting miles. The system used was done in
the beginning, and continues today. Any change to the system would have to
not only be "better" but would have to be widely accepted by all. Since the
current system is in place, with all respect, I say "good luck."

A different question is why break up the sections the way they are. Why not
make each section exactly 100 miles, or 5 days hike, or only using
interstate highways? Because someone did it that way and it was accepted.

In setting up the water reports for So Cal I first intended to only list
landmarks, and then realized that the description "dirt road" doesn't help
much without a mileage reference, and adopted the standard already in place.

Nice thought, though. I number pages in my reports at work using chapter and
page within chapter for just the reason you mention.

AsABat