[pct-l] Organizing the PCT information sources

Maintenance of the list is the biggest obstacle. There are two solutions to
maintenance: time or money.

Volunteers could be used, but not much has come of previous attempts. For
example, Chance set up a wiki to identify trail angel activity and trail
conditions. I don't think even a half dozen people ever posted to it (I
think it was just Chance and me).

Instead, money could be used to pay people to do this. There's probably two
approaches here. One is to use an existing funding system, such as PCTA dues
and donations, although I'd rather see that keep going to trail
preservation. The other is a subscription-based website or journal. I'd
doubt there'd be many takers.

The PCTA does a fair job of listing trail conditions, at least sorting them
by sections. The downside is it's a rather fixed process, with the reporter
using their web form and an editor just accepting the posts without
collating them in geographical order with other posts in the section. At
least it's something.

I'm not saying don't go for it, I'm just saying "good luck."

BTW, I too enjoyed Section O, but I hiked it in May 2000 when there was
still lots of snow and no logging trucks.

AsABat