[pct-l] Another Super Secret Outburst

I know all you list followers that are trail conditions/transportation
options enthusiasts are saying, "Oh no, not another boring Switchback gear tirade."
Well,................
-------------------------------------
## Weights: Use Zip Lock bags or similar containers for your gear.  I put the
name and weight of the contents in large black letters/numbers on each bag.
Then I try to put several bags into a larger clear bag and put the contents on
this bag too.  This is a rain proof way to carry gear.  Also, as you hike and
camp, you can evaluate the weight of your gear.
## Pedicure: Before you go on your hike and as you hike along on a long hike
consider getting a pedicure.  Very, very nice for the feet.  You will not
regret this.  You will think as you hike along, "Thanks Switchback.  What a nice
guy."
## Mark Your Territory: Urinate around your bear bagging (food) tree before
you go to sleep at night.  This I heard somewhere many years ago this was a
Forest Ranger trick to keep bears away from food.  So far it has worked for me,
but who knows if it really works.  May be I heard this idea from the mountain
man Jim Bridgers back in the 1830s or Sierra mountaineer Norman Clyde in the
1930s.  I just don't remember.  I get confused so easily.  Sorry.
## Tell Time: This is another old trick.  Use your fingers to tell how much
sun light is left.  Hold your hand out in front of you and then hold your
fingers parallel to the horizon and to the sun.  Count how many fingers there are.
Each finger equals 10-15 minutes.  For example, three fingers would mean
there is 30-45 minutes left before the sun goes down.  I have used this for years
and it works pretty good.  Now I do remember who told me this technique.  It
was John Muir.

Ye olde hiking buddy, Switchback