[pct-l] backpack question

Shawn wrote:

I am going to be getting a hiking pack soon- I was wondering, what is an
approriate size for extended hikes?  I want to be able to hold any gear
I will need.  What is the average cubic inches of the packs of PCT
thru-hikers?  External or internal frame?

That depends greatly on whether you're going ultralight or not.  In
general, it's better to first figure out what stuff you want to carry
with you then go find a pack that will hold it all.  It also depends on
how flexible you want your pack to be.  Do you want to use it for winter
expeditions as well as summer hiking?  If so, then you need to buy a
bigger one and deal with the extra weight.  I personally have two packs
- a small one for lightweight summer hiking and a big one for
heavyweight winter trips.

Most PCT thru-hikers fall on the lightweight or ultralight part of the
spectrum and their packs are generally 3000-4000 cubic inches in size
and almost always internal-frame or frameless.

If you're interested in a lightweight pack that has a good frame and
suspension, I highly recommend the Granite Gear Vapor Trail.  Other
people can give you recommendations for good frameless packs, though I
don't like them myself.

Eric