From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Monte Dodge
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 12:45 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Stehiken Resupply Options,, Boat Ride

As I stated before,, This may be the best year to start a SB hike on the PCT
and JUne 10th-ish a week before or after will work. I would mail my resupply
box/bounce bos to Chelan and plan the great " Lady of the Lake" boat trip
from Stehiken  to Chelan to resupply. The cost was under 30.00 for a round
trip and a nice Safeway in Chelan. If you start you South Bound trip near
June 1st and find the snow from Manning to the Lake a bit much for your
liking, take the boat ride to Chelan, resupply , then return only as far as
Lucerne which is mile marker 37 up lake. Here you can take the 11mile bus
ride to Holden Village and hang out a few days, before returning to PCT via
Railroad creek trail to Cloudy Pass, Lyman Lakes area. ( Holden Village was
a Copper Mine Company Camp till 1958 and was taken over by the Lutheran
Church and is run as a retreat. There are people there year round and they
offer meals for a small fee to any one .,, Best home made bread around!!)
Holden has cool old log dorms to stay in for 40/50 bucks or camp for free.
The boat ride on 55 mile long lake is quite scenic a should not be missed!!
( It makes a good kayak trip as well with shelters along the lake 8/10 miles
apart with good fishing.. Eat at Campbell house in town of Chelan for a
treat.              2005  " Year of the Sound Bound"   Remember Katy
reported Sierra Snow levels at 160-180 %?? That is quite a pull........