[pct-l] Resupplies in the North Caascades

Stehekin north to the border is my favorite part of the Washington PCT, but pretty much everything from Snoqualmie north is great.

Skykomish consists of a motel, a gas station, and a small store. I resupplied out of the gas station without difficulties in 2003.  There is supposed to be another motel in town, but no one was around the afternoon I showed up. The restaurant there is closed, most unfortunately.  Birdie and I got a hitch down in about 15 minutes, and a hitch up in about 40 minutes.

Another option is to hitch east toward Leavenworth. Leavenworth is an awful tourist place, but it has a lot more stuff than Skykomish.

Resupply in Stehekin is a little odd.  There is a PO there where you should pick up your passport if you are planning to cross the border.  I resupplied out of the hiker box (at the PO) and out of the camp store.  A little thin. But, the awesome bakery can be used as well.  I only needed 3 days of food at that point, so resupplying wasn't much of an issue. If the idea of packing out several pounds of baked treats doesn't sit well with you, send a box to Stehekin.

Suge

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett