[pct-l] Personal locator device

Adam
IMHO the Sat phone IS the way to go.... I don't see any reason a reasonably
careful person would ever need such a thing on the PCT.

But..... another thing you might want to consider along with the sat phone
is a GPS telling someone you're in trouble isn't much good if you can't give
them a good, precise location. I would assume a call for help wouldn't go
out except in a life threatening situation, where time is of the essence.

A good basic light weight GPS is a Garmin Gecko 101.

All that aside, tell the person that is insisting you have this thing you
obviously don't want that you really won't be alone in the middle of no
where, in thru hiker season I don't think you could send a day on the trail
and meet at least 2-3 other hikers and depending where you are in "the pack"
10 or more wouldn't be out of the question, places in the high sierra have
back country ranger stations, any where you go asking for help will get you
a response from all around you. People in the backcountry are not going to
leave someone in need, it just won't happen. Or at least I would be shocked
and dismayed if it did happen.

A much better thing to have is KNOWLEDGE, take a backcountry first aid class
and carry the basic supplies to handle the situations that may crop up.

Last but most important get a whistle

Cheers
Trail90