[pct-l] Updating Websites

There's a reason why I have both a web site and a yahoo egroup.  While I'm
traveling and hiking, even at libraries, ftp access is usually non-existant
so I just email my journal entries to my Yahoo group.  When I come home,
it's not usually too difficult to convert them into a web page.

I have links from the Yahoo group to my web site and my web site to the
Yahoo group.  The other advantage is that people can manage their own
participation on my email list.  That way, I don't have to deal with
individual requests to "take me off your list", "put my friend on your
list," etc. when I have limited time on-line.  Plus, some people don't want
to have to go to a site - they might want to just get emailed entries.  Of
course, they can elect NOMAIL to go to the yahoo group to read if they
prefer.

I set up the Yahoo group so that I'm the only one who can post but anyone
can join.  This keeps volume to a bare minimum so nobody is going to
complain about too much email and all email is going to be relevant.  It
does require that I "approve" my own postings but that's a quick process
that I can do by email from my hotmail account or I can log into yahoo and
do it there.

I'm guessing that there is some software out there that will allow you to do
exactly what you are trying to do without having to deal with a totally
separate web site.  But, you might have to involve your ISP to do it.  Then
again, if you do have email at your ISP, I wouldn't be too surprised if
there was some sort of java/POP program out there to handle it.  Think about
all the "guestbooks" available out there.  Something like that hooked into
an email address...

You can check out (and/or join) my Yahoo group at:

I'll be sending messages out once again during my upcoming seven week road
trip from Boston to Louisiana, Alabama (hiking some of the Pinhoti trail),
and Mississippi.

Mara

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor