[pct-l] Energy Bars

Hi, Trekker.  Well, Bumble Bars are new to me.  I thought I should respond so that no one would misunderstand what I was talking about. Bumble Bars are completely gluten free, which means that people who are sensitive to wheat (like me) and people who are deathly allergic to gluten (like celiacs) can eat them.  People trying to avoid wheat would want to be careful with Mary Jane's bars.  Most of them appear to contain amaranth (which is probably OK but I think might have to be approached with caution by a celiac) and at least one of Mary Jane's bars contains barley malt, a definite no-no for the gluten concious crowd.  My doctor has also "advised" me to "avoid" dairy products.  Bumble Bars claim to be dairy free and certainly appear to be.  Mary Jane's also appear to be dairy free, but she doesn't make that claim, so you can't quite be sure.  It wouldn't matter to me, but someone really sensitive to dairy would want to make certain about it before using them.  The diet that works best for me appears to be similar to what a normal, healthy black bear would eat in the wild, but like some bears, I find hiker food bags more tasty than grubs and red ants.

Wayne Kraft
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Trekker4@aol.com
  To: waynekraft@verizon.net
  Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:31 AM
  Subject: Re: [pct-l] Energy Bars

  In a message dated 2/17/05 12:09:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, waynekraft@verizon.net writes:
    Bumble Bars
  According to their website, http://www.bumblebar.com/, they've been around since '97; however, I've never seen them anywhere, and I always check that section of natural food groceries. Mary Jane's Farm, http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/, also has some healthy food bars; I've ordered some, but not tried them yet.

  Bob
  Big Bend Desert Denizen
  (Naturalized Citizen, Republic of Texas)