From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of yogi
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 8:30 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] 2005 revision of "Yogi's PCT Handbook"

My book is registered with the US Copyright office.  As recommended by that
office, I have written permission (from every contributor to the book) to
use everyone's comments.  There are different ways to register the copyright
-- either as a collection of other's work or as your own work.  Mine is a
combination, and IS registered.  I am the author.  My function is not simply
a collector of other's opinions.  As a guess, I would say that about 80% of
the book is my own words.  The rest is a collection of other hiker opinions.

I realize that by writing my book I have opened myself up to criticizm.  I
usually let it slide, but not this time.  I worked hard to write my book.
It took a lot of time.  In order to write the book and distribute it, I had
to quit one job.  The income I receive from the book is much less than I
earned at my second job.  Sure, I get more pleasure from operating the book
business, but not more money.  And every week I get emails from people who
want me to make the book available for free as an Adobe file.  That's simply
not going to happen.  If you want the book, you'll have to buy it.  It's
good information.  I'm proud of it.  But it's not free.  Do you think if you
wrote to the author of "The DaVinci Code" and asked for his book as a free
Adobe file he would send it to you?  Or a free electronic version of "A Walk
In The Woods"?  I doubt it.

Yep, I'm pretty defensive.  That's because the book is my passion.  It's
human nature to defend what you're passionate about.  When people critize
me, I get riled up.  A lot of thought, care, time, mental and physical work
has gone into each book.  I go to the PO every day to make sure that people
get their books in a timely manner.  When the 2005 Data Book showed
different mileage, I put together a mileage revision and made it availabe at
my cost to people who had recently bought the book.

I hope my book is helpful for those planning a PCT hike.  I hope the "Part
2" pages are helpful while hiking.  I think the book works well, but it's
not free.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

Ilja Friedel <pctl@ilja.ws> wrote:
Hi Scott,

> Authors usually don't operate like you're suggesting. Anything placed
> on the web becomes public domain, and despite copyright laws this
> material will inevitably be copied and distributed, altered and
> edited, perhaps even re-tooled for illegal profit

For this reason there is the option to register a copyright. This can be
done for 30 bucks or so: http://www.copyright.gov/register/
(If an author does not register he still keeps the copyright but has a much
harder time profing damages in court.)

Not having ordered Yogi's book (yet) I find her work very usefull. Being
able to sell the book might not be as financially rewarding for her as a
daily job (I know what scientific authors get), but I'm sure emotionally
there is a big component of pride and accomplishment. But it is my
impression that Yogi's function is often not quite of an author (creating
new material), but more of an editor (collecting and citing many different
opinions.) I don't know how this would affect a copyright registration.
(I'm sure it can be done, just look at newspapers.)

Ilja.