[pct-l] Flying from Vancouver to So. Cal

If it is only $10 cheaper, I would fly from Vancouver.  Don't worry about the customs. You'll probably get searched as there is alot of BC hydro smuggling that goes on from Vancouver. Just don't bring anything illegal with you.  You will need a passport no matter how you want to cross the border, although the drivers license and birth certificate should get you through with just a lecture.  Or, it might not.  Or, it might go smoothly.  Border agents seem to have a lot of discretion with who they let in and how. With a passport, you can remove alot of their discretion. If you don't have a passport, I would get one NOW, before you are forced to do biometric stuff for it.

Another reason people get tickets out of Seattle is in case something goes wrong.  For example, you run out of time, or get hurt, or just decide to leave the trail in Washington (this happened to several thruhikers in 2003).  It is then a lot easier to get to Seattle than to go to Vancouver.

Suge

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett