[pct-l] Question regarding boots and feet.

Good question.  I wondered the same thing.
Mostly because........

Last year was my first distance hike. (20's) If you asked me how I
condidtioned myself for it, I'd have to say I went to Mexico and pointed
myself north.  I wore a size nine shoe. They were already too tight to hike
in.

A week later I needed a 10-1/2 .

Right now I hike lots of fives and tens, I can wear 10's but I still wear a
10-1/2 to hike.

Warner Springs Monty