[pct-l] McKenzie Pass Phone

Yogi, no payphone at McKenzie Pass. There is no permanent privy at the pass, but it may be that a portapotty is installed in the peak tourist season.  I don't recall for certain, but I'm sure there must be a pit toilet of some sort at the little campground at near-by Lava Camp Lake which is used by car campers.  There might be cell coverage from there by some providers.  I called home last summer from South Matthieu Lake just a few miles south of the pass from the little rise on the south side of the lake, but you can see for miles off to the southeast from there and you can't do that from the pass. If you need a land line I think the next option would be the Hoodoo ski area at Santiam Pass, less than a day's hike to the north from McKenzie (assuming its open in the summer) or maybe the hiker-friendly youth camp at Big Lake. Are you updating your book or do you need the information for some other reason? I could probably find all this out.

Wayne Kraft