[pct-l] lightweight packs and bear canisters

I hiked with a ranger on her way to her assigned headquarters/post.  One
day before there would have been no ranger.   She said, in Kings Canyon
thru-hikers are not required to carry Bear Canisters.  She did check for a
thru hiker permit and almost ticketed a non thru hiker for not having a
bear canister.  With his attitude about her asking, I think she was too
kind.

There were lots of boxes west and south of Kersarge pass.

No rangers on the west side of Mt. Whitney.  Ranger on top of Whitney said
it would still be a couple of weeks before they staffed the local station.
Instead of asking for my Whitney permit like he was doing with others, he
asked, "Are you a thru hiker?"   I don't know if it means anything, but
after I said yes, he didn't ask for a permit.

Tuolumne was scarey.  I'm glad I hiked in with a canister.

In both Kings Canyon and the Whitney area there were lots of bear boxes.

Map for bear boxes?  Does anyone have a map of bear boxes along the John
Muir?

Warner Springs Monty

PCT-L <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>