[pct-l] High Spot Campsites (was:Regarding Fobes Saddle)

I was hoping to enjoy camping on Combs Peak on my last PCT hike. It was
all that was on my mind the last few miles before I reached it's flanks.
I had read journals and seen a few (old) photos of combs and was REALLY
looking forward to kicking back with my oilcan and enjoying the view of
Anza's lights...
Then I got there and saw the desolation created by the last fire. Erik
and I decided to keep moving for a couple more miles simply because we
wanted to camp outside the burn area.
After we cross the perimeter of the burn area, dropped pack and started
to settle in, a couple hikers were SOBO and told us they were going to
make for the top of Combs. Sun had set and there was just a little bit
of twilight left. They would hike another hour, at least before they got
to the top. At least they wouldn't have to see the burned campsite area
in the dark...

I've camped in many high places. Peaks, ridgelines, plateaus. Here in
Southern California, the weather is usually mild enough that the usual
conditions associated with high spots are not a problem. I enjoy the few
hours between when I drop pack and crawl inside my bag JUST AS MUCH as
the hike itself!

The buddy I most often hike with and I make a big deal out of our ritual
"cracking of the Oilcans" and spend the time in the dark sipping,
bullshittin' and taking pictures of all this in the pleasant light of a
candle lantern. If we're overlooking a great view, then all the better!

Since the hike from the 74 to Fobbes is so short, I expect to have
plenty of time to check out all the campsite around the water sources
and on the peaks.
I'm also intrigued by the description of Cedar Springs! "dark and
creepy"!!! Reminds me of a campsite at the base of the Sierras where
Independence Creek flows into the Owens Valley... A buddy and I had
cross the valley floor after having to leave a disabled VW Squareback in
town (this is an epic tale best told over an oilcan!). We spent the day
crossing the valley and found this "dark and creepy" depression under a
dense thicket of cottonwoods right next to the creek. The area was a
natural campsite! I don't believe anyone had camped there before, as
there's just about NO reason anyone should be there. Anyway- the ground
was flat and sandy and covered with about 2 inches of fallen leaves from
the cottonwoods. All around us the trees made for a natural cave. We had
a small "indian campfire" and spend hours talking around the fire with
the sounds of the creek next to us, the wind passing through the
treetops and the occasional animal investigating what the heck was going
on. Dark and creepy. And about 25 yards away was a small rise that
overlooked the valley below with the lights of Independence and the 395.

 Wow. That turned into a ramble...

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m