[pct-l]back pain (was knee pain)

Eric wrote:

>Ken et all;
>
>Just to chime in on the back pain issue:
>
>I had pretty annoying lower back pain ever since I was in the Navy. I
>have big legs from racing bicycles when I was younger, and a big upper
>body from lifting weights, but my mid section (abs and lower back) was
>weak as hell. On pretty much every backpacking trip I've gone on, the
>minute I take my pack off my lower back feels like it's ready to
>explode.

If you really want to add core strength, exercises like deadlift, good
mornings, and squat (and their varients) are awesome. None of these
lifts focus on abs, but the fact that you have to keep your abs tight to
stay stable and maintain proper form is enough to work your abs. Just be
sure you start light and focus on form before going heavier.

here is an index of a bunch of lower back exercises:
http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?MainMuscle=Lower+Back

some squat type excercises (also where you will find deadlift info):
http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?MainMuscle=Quadriceps

and some ab stuff as well:
http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?MainMuscle=Abdominals

Also, don't be afraid to ask the experienced people at the gym for help
with form or a spot.

>There's a neat chair in weight rooms that allows you to hinge on your
>lower back with your feet in a brace, drop your head and torso down,
>and then come back to a prone position.

fyi: it is called the roman chair