[pct-l] Re: conditioning

"Conditioning for a thru hike" was a topic of personal interest as my
story is not one of success but  learning the hard way. My attempt last
summer at a ten day PCT thru-hike ended in disgust and defeat after
three days and two nights on the trail between Ebbetts Pass and Carson
Pass. What went wrong and how to prepare for my next attempt? Altitude?
Poor conditioning? difficultterrain? Now at age 57 and for the past
three years I have been section hiking north bound on the PCT having
begun at Lone Pine. Each summer it ends earlier than  planned. I refuse
to attribute this to age alone  and in fact have ben reducing my pack
weight each year! I share this as there may be others who have had
similar experiences.

	Since I live in Tokyo, I do not get out on the trail and my
"conditioning" is left to long walks and when the summer comes I
naively think that  my body will go where my head points. What I have
learned to do from now on is the following:

1. Two months minimum prior to boarding a plane to the trail head in
the  U.S., follow some examples given on this site for conditioning
such as some jogging for cardio-vasular  and leg muscle. If I have not
been doing so, restrict all outdoor activity to base camping and day
hikes until I feel relatively confident.

2. Continue to reduce my base pack weight. Last time I was at 19 lbs
plus food and water. Judging from the velocity at which I threw down my
pack at Carson  Pass, I would say I should not carry more than 18 lbs
total max which means about a base  pack weight of about ten pounds
for a three night hike.

3. Spend a long time just day hiking at altitude initially. Do a couple
of one nighters first. For me a good place would be along the 395
Eastern Sierras.  Last summer I had not at all adjusted to the altitude
and had some remaining jet lag. Plus it was my first backpack of the
summer. Overly ambitious .. a sure recipe for injury or incompletion.
If one sets out  with friends, it also ends in disappointment for all.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Tokio John